is the theme of today’s all day marketing event at Turbine Hall.
It has been a very long day, but 500+ delegates from customers and business partners, insightful presentations, uncountable valuable talks and a great venue. Kudos to the SWG marketing team.
The Turbine Hall was built as Johannesburg’s Jeppe Street Power Station, the last and largest of three steam-driven power stations built in Newtown to supply electricity to the city. Constructed between 1927 and 1934 it consisted originally of a shorter Turbine Hall and a single “North Boiler House”. In 1934 the “South Boiler House” was built, extending the Turbine Hall.
The plant was shut down in 1961 but because of expansion in Johannesburg’s Central Business District during the mid-60s the Turbine Hall was re-equipped to be used as a standby and for peak loading periods. It continued to function through the 70s.
From that time Newtown was experiencing its own decline as a result of the then City Council’s indecision about the area. By 2000 more than 300 squatters had occupied the then derelict building. The ownership issue was resolved in 2003.
Today the Turbine Hall houses the offices of AngloGold Ashanti and other businesses, and is home to the forum company’s conference and wedding venue.
Originally Newtown started was a racially mixed working class district, where bricks were manufactured. Through the years the area has seen forced removals take place, has been an agricultural trade hub and also the producer of much of Johannesburg’s power. Today creativity flows through Newtown whether it be in music, theater, art or dance. The area is home to museums, theaters, restaurants, art galleries, dance studios, craft markets, live performances and night spots.